Re: dhcp evils

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Neil Dugan wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 11:50 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, William Hooper wrote:
> > > Michael Hennebry wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > dhclient-eth0.leases screams relevant to me.
> >
> > I had thought so to until someone told me that
> > dhcp didn't provide hostnames.
> >

> dhcp can (if setup) set a default name if one isn't supplied when the
> host asks for the DHCP data.

Apparently supplying a hostname is the default.  From man dhclient.conf:
"By default, the DHCP server (sic?)
requests the subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name, nis-domain, nis-servers,
and ntp-servers options."

I note that ip-address is not in the list,
so perhaps I am missing something.

In any case, if FC3's DHCP comes with a dhclient.conf file, I
would like to know what is in it.
I suppose I could find out by reinstalling,
but I am sooooo tired of installing.
I'm not terribly competent, I've done a lot of installing.

--
Mike   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES.  *I* ONLY TURN UP ONCE."  --  Death