Re: CD burning problem

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

On 4/19/05, Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 09:19 +0100, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

how can a cd-r/w be reformated from Gnome, or a session added to a cd-r, from the GUI? There nothing for burning CD's under "Sounds & Video" in Gnome, just CD Player, Sound Recorder, and Volume Control.

K3b is an application for that on the distribution CD. Install from
there or install using yum. Either way works.

[..]

That's installing software which Gnome, more specifically Nautilus,
already provides.  Can't the "CD/DVD Creator" do the same thing?

thanks,

Thufir

Thufir, thank you for persistence in your question about nautilus. It has prompted me to further explore CD burning with Gnome applications and I will share those findings with you here.

I run FC2 so your mileage may vary if you are running another fedora release. In FC2, I find that I can not use nautilus to mount a blank cd. I assume you are having the same or a very similar experience. Try the following as an alternative.

1. Using nautilus, select some files you want copied to a CD. 2. Extend the nautilus "Edit" menu and select copy.
3. Extend the nautilus "Places" menu and select "CD Creator."
4. Paste the files selected in (2) above into the CD Creator window.
5. Place a blank CD in a CD-RW or CD-R drive.
6. Extend the CD Creator "Files" menu and select burn CD.

I have yet to explore other tasks such as blanking CDs or trying to create an iso file for burning to CD, but from my limited experience thus far it appears that one may need to use cdrecord and terminal command line instructions to create iso files before burning them to a CD.

FWIW