Re: SICK OF STUPID OWNERSHIP RULES!!

Kevin wrote:
I am so sick of these stupid bloody ownership rules!

All I want to do is share a FAT32 drive over the local
network and allow anyone to read/write it!

I don't care or want to know about GIDs and UIDs or
any IDs, just put the thing out there for everyone.

Man this is annoying.  And I don't have time to read
through pages of stupid blood man pages either!

HELP!

Regards......KEv :(

Ownership rules are there for your, and everyone elses, protection. One of the reasons Windows is so riddled with viruses, trojans, adware etc. is the total lack of ownership/permission rules in early versions of Windows. This has become so ingrained in Windows users (and developers alike) that now, when new versions of Windows are available with strict ownerships and permissions, most users (and software) run as Administrator to curcumvent the ownership rules. This would seem to be your position.

You can do what you want by judicious setting of the umask= option on the mount command. See the man page for mount.

BTW, how are you going stop some clown from running 'rm -rf /mount/point' to delete everything from the FAT32 partition?

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555