Re: IDE disk problem

Joel wrote:

>>>I wonder if this might be due to selecting a drive as master but hanging
>>>it in the middle. I'm thinking that floating input could cause the
>>>controller to miss selects forced against the pattern, and suspicious
>>>that manufacturers may not be testing the controllers, cables, and/or
>>>drives with slave and master strapped, but master in the middle.
>>
>>Well how do you explain in binary logic the float thing ?
>

> You're gonna love this --
>
> I haven't seen the spec, but one typical way to use float as a state is
> to check the pin's state first, then try driving it to the opposite
> state and checking the result, and then try driving it again to the
> original state and checking again. If the pin is strapped, it will
> refuse to go to one state.
>
> IIRC,

IIRC ? what does this mean ?

 there are also gates which can detect tri-stated inputs under
> specific engineering parameters, as well. I remember looking at the
> diagrams and thinking, "Man, some engineer has been drinking too much
> coffee."
>
> Anyway, no, it's not binary logic.

Well i haven't seen the spec either but possibly i will agree with you ,
when you say that some engineer must have drunk too much coffee/tee
whatever that was .

BTW : My cabling on this machine ( the Athlon XP one ) is non-cable
select, the other machine ( the Pentium 166 MX one ) has o Promise
controller in order to be able to see the 160 GB hard disk which was
shipped with a cable select cable . Do you know if there is a difference
in performance between the Cable Select and the non-cable select one ?