Re: Gnome GUI seems slugish, any ideas or optimizations?

I agree with Ovidiu.   FC's implementations of GNOME have been very bloated for me.  KDE is much better.  I would try something else if I knew what to try, that was super-fast.  Next install time I will probably try to unload a lot of apps to speed things up, there is a lot that I just don't need.

Marc

On 4/14/05, Ovidiu Lixandru <ovidiu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robert F. Chapman wrote:
> I have been keeping up with the Fedora Releases since FC1 and I have
> noticed that in FC1,2,3 Gnome is very sluggish compared to RH9.0.
> Things like opening a terminal can take 10 - 15 seconds.  Running
> Programs take just as long.  It's kinda hard to convince Windows XP
> users they need to move, when GNOME is performing poorly.

GNOME is getting more bloated by the day. It's a shame FC moved XFce
into Extras, as far as I'm concerned GNOME 2.x should have been there.
Anyway, a functional solution (replacement more likely) is XFce. It runs
very smoothly on a P3@1GHz w/ 512MB of RAM and a 64MB GeForce MX440. The
memory usage dropped after full desktop environment startup by 80MB (!),
applications start and "feel" much faster (I heavily use Firefox and
GAIM and there's a big difference to GNOME) and even non-related apps
are snappier (i.e. Java-based jEdit).
Hopefully, GNOME 3 will get rebuilt from scratch and learn a bit from
its younger brother. Until then, bye bye GNOME.

--
Ovidiu Lixandru
linux360