Re: Attn : Dave Jones Re: I just want one more option in the FC Kernels (Dave Jones)

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 15:01 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 21:07, Robert Locke wrote:

> Yes, but look back at the jump between 7.3 which was a real classic
> in stability and probably still running in a lot of places (I have
> a few myself) and 8.0 which was just horrible.
----
you would no doubt accept that this is/was a matter of opinion and I for
one, rather liked 8.0
----
> Actually, I didn't expect it to be such a controversial issue.
----
The controversy seems to center on the fact that you have no hesitance
to suggesting that others go to great lengths to solve what you perceive
as problems, but they - fedora-development has decided otherwise...and
of course, you used this - the users forum to address what is clearly a
topic better discussed in the development forum since it is they who
make these decisions.
----
>   So
> far no one arguing against it has come up with any advantage to
> anyone in continuing to distribute known/fixed bugs.
----
I don't even understand this comment - the context isn't clear, the
intent isn't clear, what you are saying isn't clear.
----
>   It is not that
> big a deal to me because I always point new installs at a proxy server
> and pull updates immediately, but most of the other people I know
> who run Linux don't bother to do that.
----
You must know some rather dense people. From the first desktop - users
will see the up2date panel showing a red exclamation point - of course,
these users probably wouldn't update a Windows or Macintosh computer
either.
----
>   The only real problem for
> me has been that for every version from RH9-FC2 I have one or more
> kinds of machines that will not install due to hardware problems
> (each machine will run one or more versions, but fails with at least
> one - and oddly, most of them were purchased loaded with RH linux).
> But, I'd rather switch than fight so I've been installing Centos 3.4
> on all of those.  I suspect though, that if the updates were backed
> into the isos the install problems would have been fixed.
----
There is perhaps one motherboard that FC-3 cannot install on. Now if you
are talking about FC-2, yes, that is getting a bit long in the tooth now
but it is going to fedora-legacy RSN.

Craig