Re: exec of init (/sbin/init) failed

David Curry wrote:

Barry Yu wrote:

David Curry wrote:

Barry Yu wrote:

One of my machine broke downn during the process of updating (with yum), I had to reboot and during the booting up in level 3 a message displayed;

exec of init (/sbin/init) failed !!!: 2
umount /initrd/dev  failed: 2
kernel panic - not syncing. Attempted to kill init!

And the machine just freezes right there!
I powered it down and start it again, same thing happened - FC3 is completely down.
Any solution? Tks

Have you tried booting from a rescue CD or the installation CD1 and examining your init files?

I haven't done that yet, can you be more specific and tell me what step and how to do that - I am inexperient in that at all, I know how to use the rescue CD to boot up, but what to do next?

It is doubtful whether I have the technical knowledge to lead you through a step by step process, Barry. On re-reading your earlier message, I find that I did not take notice of your statement that the machine "broke down during the process of updating (with yum)." Rather, I will only offer an approach I would personally consider if I was in your situation and one of the real fedora linux experts on the list did not respond to my messages.
If I had not backed up my important data files before the yum update, I would boot from the rescue CD or the 1st installation CD and try to copy those important files to a back up CD/floppy/tape or transfer them to another machine. Then, I would reinstall from the installation CDs and fully update the system via yum before restoring my personal data files.

I do backup my data and I also had made a recovery image of fc3, I post this because I want to know if I can have an answer specifically to this issue so I can fix it the next time when it happens again; I google and use MARC mailing list but can't find any close resolution. tks any way.