Re: starting a python script as a background process

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Am Sa, den 09.04.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 16:43:

Could you explain why you think it's preferable to use such a script vs. placing the commands in rc.local? I'm still learning, and the difference in the two approaches is not apparent to me.

Claude Jones

a) What if you boot without network or in a situation where you switch
off other required services? /etc/rc.local will be executed in any way
and does not care for other situations

b) /etc/rc.local runs very last in the boot process order. You can't let
a command execute through it earlier.

Alexander

Ok. That makes sense. I have a lot to learn, and read up on, before I feel competent to modify that script, though. But that's ok - work is good. Thanks for the clarification.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA