Re: RHEL and FC Kernels

Dave Jones wrote:
On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:32:15PM +0100, Andy Hudson wrote:
> Hi,
> > This may sound a bit naive, but what are the fundamental differences > between an EL kernel and a fc3 kernel?
> > I'm expecting someone to say either RTFM or that EL kernels have > specific patches applied to make them more stable than fc3, say.
<snip>

Feature-wise, both streams have more-or-less the same added-Red Hat patches (Exec-shield etc). RHEL has a 4g4g -hugemem kernel, but that's about the only difference.

To give you something of an idea how much things diverge, here's
the current number of patches included against various trees
including some historic trees..

RHL9:     174
Fedora Core 1:     107
Fedora Core 2:      80
Fedora Core 3:      69
Rawhide:      61
RHEL4:     400

Note that as we get newer releases of Fedora, the patchcount
goes down.

OK, a couple of things don't make sense.

If "both streams have more-or-less the same added-Red Hat
patches," why are there over five times as many patches in RHEL 4 than in FC3? Also, is there an explanation for why the patch count keeps going down as newer versions of Fedora Core are released?

Thanks,
William