Re: How should I react to break in attempts

Jan Morales wrote:
Yesterday a single host out there made over 300 attempts to login to sshd on my server. My feeling is that I can't stop people from trying, so my only goal is to prevent them from succeeding. Use a firewall and/or iptables or similar things, lock out unused logins, use good passwords on active logins, kill unnecessary services, stay up to date on security updates, etc. Someone once said that the only way to absolutely guarantee a computer's security is to unplug it. Short of that, approach computer security diligently, because people out there will try to break in.

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

I edited the SSHd config file to listen on a port other than 22. Alternatively, you could use IPTABLES to route some port (say 2022) to port 22.

--

   Steve