Fedora or alternatives for a laptop

I have an eight year old laptop, currently running win2k, that I want to put linux on. It's a pentium 1, 48 megs of ram, about 1.9 gig harddrive, an old chips and technologies video card ( i think). All it really needs is a text editor, graphical browser, email client, and aim client. A year ago it had mandrake 9.2 on it and that ran much faster than win2k. Any recommendations for a good distro for this laptop?
-Endy