CompactFlash

Hi,
I used to see an icon appear on my screen when I plugged a CompactFlash-card into my pc. Now suddenly I can't get it mounted. It looks like it isn't detected at all. In /media/ there is no sign of it.
The only thing I changed recently is the removal of all the header-files in /var/spool/up2date. This directory contained 72 MB, so I thought is was a good idea to clean it up. Still I don't think this has anything to do with the CF-card not mounting.
Is it a problem with udev?
Another thing I noticed is that during booting the mouse is not responsive until "searching for new hardware". After this item it works as usual. This used to be different until an few days ago.
Could somebody give me a hint?
Thanks, Peter.