Re: Questions concerning Security Log

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On Apr 8, 2005 10:57 AM, Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you're not currently using ssh you could turn it off until such time
as you're going to start using it:
# service sshd stop
# chkconfig sshd off

OK, I stopped ssh for now. When I did service sshd stop I got output,
but when I did chkconfig sshd off I got none. Is this supposed to
return any output?

Both of these are as expected. Using "service sshd stop" should produce the same "Stopping sshd [ OK ]" sort of output that you get when you shut down the machine.

Paul, and everybody else, thank you for helping me. Now that ssh is
off for the time being, I'm not so worried and I'll learn to secure it
with iptables before I enable it.

Good plan.

Paul.