Attn : Dave Jones Re: I just want one more option in the FC Kernels (Dave Jones)

Hello Mr.Dave

From: Dave Jones <davej redhat com>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Subject: Re: I just want one more option in the FC Kernels
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 01:21:57 -0400
On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 10:22:50AM +0530, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> My BIOS has 34 GB limit for hard-disks and I want the option
>> IDE_DISK_STROKE set in kernel.Standard FC kernels do not have this set.So,
>> I cannot access my data partition on second hard-disc.
>>
>> I want to know is there any shortcut to full-fledged recompilation of
>> kernel to set this parameter in kernel.

That config option went away upstream about 9 months ago.
You can now configure this per-drive on the boot command line like so..

hdb=stroke

Are you sure ? With my kernel 2.6.5-1.358, this option on command line results in 'BAD OPTION' message from kernel. I checked 'kernel parameters.txt', 'ide.txt' under kernel documentation, where it is not mentioned. What is mentioned is 'hdx=C,H,S', but that option will be overridden by successful probing of the device by kernel.

Dave

Parameshwara Bhat