Re: allowing passive FTP from the outside

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 09:06, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Robert Slade wrote:

> >> are you sure ftp_conntrack is even needed?  I thought that's usually used
> >> just for stateful routing through a server, and not to connect to one from
> >> the outside.  Also when I shut iptables down, it works, I can get a ftp
> >> listing.

> > Yes it does. ftp_contrack etc monitors the trafic on port 21 and
> > dynamically opens the higher no (data) ports that the control on port 21
> > asks for. Turning off iptables just opens all the ports.
> >
> > If you are using vsftp, then you can set the ports used by passive ftp
> > and then open them in iptables, but this is a risk as they can be
> > abused. This may be possible with other ftp servers.
>
> then wouldn't this mean that FTP on regular port 21 would not work at all
> unless you had ftp_conntrack loaded?  Because i've ran FTP servers before
> without it, and it worked fine.  Do you happen to remember this option in
> vsftpd?  I don't recall seeing it.
>
> Thanks for the replies everyone..

ip_tables will load the various modules too, it maybe that ftp_conntrack
etc was loaded by iptables. ISTR that this is the default.

>From man vsftp:

pasv_max_port
        The maximum port to allocate for PASV style data connections.
        Can be used to specify a narrow port range to assist
        firewalling.

        Default: 0 (use any port)

pasv_min_port
        The minimum port to allocate for PASV style data connections.
        Can be used to specify a narrow port range to assist
        firewalling.

        Default: 0 (use any port)

Rob