Re: modem keeps disappearing

Claude Jones wrote:

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
| Claude Jones wrote:
|| I reply to myself - the modem is not disappearing. By doing a
|| kudzu -p I was able to determine that the modem is still
|| configured and is set to ttyS14 - when I used that to connect
|| via Kermit and ProComm just now, I got in. So, does anyone
|| know why, is it called the 'symbolic link' /dev/modem?, keeps
|| disappearing? || | You don't say, but is your modem external? Fedora has a poor
| record in recognizing external modems. Modems are removed in my
| experience at random, it seems, for no reason whatsoever. If
| kudzu thinks the modem has disappeared then I ma nor surprised
| the /dev/modem disappears. Using the /dev/ttySx has always
| worked better for me. --

It's an internal PCI recommended for Linux. Someone suggested a
driver had been made available by USR and I installed it - that
'may' have fixed the problem. I'm doing so many things today to
this box that I'm having a hard time keeping track of them all.

And once again, I reply to myself. The modem, a USR 5610, seems to be stable following the install of the driver package from the USR website. I can't say for sure that that is what fixed the problem, since I've worked on so many things today, but it's probably worth installing that driver just because it was written by the manufacturer specifically for Linux. I've rebooted the computer many times today and not once has /dev/modem disappeared since the driver install.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA