Re: modem keeps disappearing

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:31:56PM -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> Claude Jones wrote:
> >I'm having a disappearing modem problem. I put in the computer, it gets
> >recognized by kudzu, and it comes up working. I use it to dial in to an
> >old mainframe. Kermit sees it, and I have ProComm for DOS running under
> >dosemu. All seems well. I shut down the computer, and when it comes back
> >up, it has disappeared. So far, I've only been able to recover it by
> >removing it and rebooting, and then reinstalling it and rebooting. It
> >seemed to be a problem with a lockfile earlier on, but, that's no longer
> >the case. Can anyone offer an idea? I've searched the list and read the
> >configuration manuals from Redhat, but there is precious little said
> >about modems for old-style dialup.
>
> I reply to myself - the modem is not disappearing. By doing a kudzu -p I
> was able to determine that the modem is still configured and is set to
> ttyS14 - when I used that to connect via Kermit and ProComm just now, I
> got in. So, does anyone know why, is it called the 'symbolic link'
> /dev/modem?, keeps disappearing?

You don't say, but is your modem external? Fedora has a poor record in
recognizing external modems. Modems are removed in my experience at
random, it seems, for no reason whatsoever. If kudzu thinks the modem
has disappeared then I ma nor surprised the /dev/modem disappears.
Using the /dev/ttySx has always worked better for me.

Some points to remember [about animals]:
	(1) Don't go to sleep under big animals, e.g., elephants, rhinoceri,
	    hippopotamuses;
	(2) Don't put animals with sharp teeth or poisonous fangs down the
	    front of your clothes;
	(3) Don't pat certain animals, e.g., crocodiles and scorpions or dogs
	    you have just kicked.
		-- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.