PHP doubts

Dear All,
   I am able do add password using the following PHP script

<?php
$password="pass";
exec("useradd user2");
$volumesp = popen("passwd user2", "w");
fputs($volumesp,$password."\n");
fputs($volumesp,$password."\n");
pclose($volumesp);
?>
# php sample.php - gives sucessful output

The password for the user "user2" is being created sucessfully.

But I am unable to add a samba user using a similar script

<?php
$password="pass";
$volumesp = popen("smbpasswd -a user1", "w");
fputs($volumesp,$password."\n");
fputs($volumesp,$password."\n");
pclose($volumesp);
?>

# php sample.php - I am have to enter the password 2 times like I do in command line.

I am also facing the same problem with smbadduser instead of smbpasswd command. Infact these are the only commands I am facing problems executing in PHP scripts.

I agree - this may not be the right list for this question - Pls help me in troubleshooting this problem or atlest help me guiding to the right list.

Regards,
Rajiv