Re: / out of space - what to do?

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Richard E Miles wrote:

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:12:02 +1000
Neil Dugan <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Syl,

Sorry I'm late... but there's one point that hasn't been touched here.
If you just keeping updating, you probably have a large number of
kernels installed that you don't use or need. Each kernel occupies a
large space. To get a list of the installed kernels, do
rpm -q kernel
rpm -q kernel-smp

I am not having troubles for disk space but I tried the above commands. Both reported 'package x is not installed'.

Very odd. Did you spell "kernel" right (all lower-case, e.g.)? You certainly have at least one kernel RPM installed.

In my /boot directory I have a large number of files (vmlinuz-?, system.map-?,config-? and initrd-?). If I don't want to use a particular kernal can I just delete the appropiate set of files here?

That's not a good idea. The RPM database will think you still have those files, and it may confuse things at some point later. Better to figure out why you are getting the unexpected error.

Regards Neil

Also, to know which kernel is being currently used, do
uname -r

then you can remove the old unused kernels by (as root)
rpm -e <<kernel name>>

where <<kernel name>> is the name you get from the 'rpm -q' commands above. Just remember to keep one old kernel (other than the one in use currently) just as a safeguard. [...]

I think that you can delete multiple kernels if you put then all in one command, thus: rpm -e kernel.version1 kernel.version2 etc

Correct.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences