Re: FC3 on Dell PowerEdge 2800 and embedded SCSI and 10/100/1000 NICs ?

----- Original Message ----- From: "McGuffey, David" <DAVID.C.MCGUFFEY@xxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "McGuffey, David" <DAVID.C.MCGUFFEY@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 1:34 PM
Subject: FC3 on Dell PowerEdge 2800 and embedded SCSI and 10/100/1000 NICs ?

A couple of weeks back I posted a message about openwall, grsecurity, PAX,
LIDS, and Bastille for FC3 but didn't get much response.  So I'm going to
create a small lab to investigate these issues plus SELinux on my own.

I've considering ordering a Dell PowerEdge 2800, with two Xenon 3.0GHz
processors, 2 GB ram, embedded SCSI and embedded 10/100/1000 NICS for about
$2,800.

Anyone running FC3 on this fairly generic box?  Any problems?  Any
recommendations for a better box at the same or less cost?

Dave McGuffey
Principal Information Assurance Engineer
SAIC

Hi David -

Man, for $2800 I could build a heck of a lab with way more than one box. Buy several lower-end machines and you can probably get more done. Just my opinion, only worth what you paid for it. :-)

An observation: posting multiple questions in a single message tends to turn folks like me off. I've found that I am more likely to answer a single question... So if you have three issues you are dealing with, I suggest posting three messages.

I could be wrong tho...

Thomas