Re: How do I get a USB CD-ROM working in Fedora Core 3?

John Sloan wrote:
john.sloan@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have googled and googled, and I just can't seem to get this to work. I have a Thinkpad X23 with an external CD-ROM drive that connects via USB. No matter what I do, it is not recognised in FC3. There is no entry in /dev and I can't figure out what the problem is.

There are no /dev/scd* devices.

Anyone got any ideas??

Try booting without the device connected. Log in, then connect the drive. Wait for a few seconds, then look at the end of the file /var/log/messages to see what kernel messages appeared when the drive was connected. We'll make sure first that the kernel recognises the drive.

Paul.

As requested, I have checked "/var/log/messages" and here are the lines
added when the USB CD-ROM drive was plugged in.:

Mar 25 11:20:45 LinuxForensics kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device
using address 2 Mar 25 11:20:47 LinuxForensics kernel: SCSI subsystem
initialized Mar 25 11:20:47 LinuxForensics kernel: Initializing USB Mass
Storage driver...
Mar 25 11:20:47 LinuxForensics kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
Storage devices

And here is the diff between the dmesg output before and after the CD was
plugged in:

261,269d260
< usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 2 < SCSI subsystem
initialized < Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
< scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices < usb 1-1: reset full
speed USB device using address 2 < scsi: Device offlined - not ready after
error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 < USB Mass Storage device found
at 2 < usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage < USB Mass Storage support
registered.

Note: I just installed Fedora Core 3 by booting from this USB CD-ROM and
then getting the packages from an FTP server, so I know this CD-ROM drive is
working OK.

Anyone got any ideas?

Try unplugging and then plugging the device back in. Instead of using "dmesg", just post the last few minutes' worth of entries from /var/log/messages as there may be information there that does not appear from dmesg.

Paul.