Re: command to list ownership of folder

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 15:20 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> forgive me for I have trespassed, but I have also read and read
> I changed ownership on a bunch of folders in the /var/lock directory by
> mistake -- from what I've read, there is no undo -
> I would like to put these back the way they were. I'm not sure if they
> were all root:root
> I have an exactly configured box I can ssh into and get the list of
> owners, but I can't find the command that lists ownership of a folder -
> is there such?

    Yeah, there must be a way around that; I know that RPM has a way to
compare the installed permissions to the current ones; it's under the
'query' section of the manpage for RPM.

    Whether there's a command to just put'em back is unclear, but using
"rpm -vq --whatprovides /var/log" should show you which RPM it came
from, then the other query-command will let you know what they should
be.  Find that command, and you're on your way...

--
Those who entrust life and limb to Microsoft deserve neither. -Me, 2005
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad