Re: Hard Crashes Increasing, FC3

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 08:41 +0100, Rob Kirkbride wrote:
> Jess Anderson wrote on 25/03/2005 02:46:
>
> >Scot L. Harris
> >

> >>Jess Anderson:

> >>Why not pull one DIMM at a time an run memtest86? If you get a
> >>clean pass then those two chips are good.
> >>

> >Ja, that's my plan.
> >

> I was getting crashing similar to yourself (often to do with ext3) I had
> been grappling with my server starting to crash regularly (dual AMD
> machine), ran memtest and everything was reported ok. I decided that my
> CPUs were running a little hot so changed the fans on them. This
> unfortunately did not cure the problem. I took a stick of ram out and
> the server still fell over. I swapped the sticks over and its now been
> running for several days (would generally crash once a day before).
> Strangely I had a branded stick (crucial) and an unbranded one. Its the
> branded one that caused me the problem!
> I'd been tearing my hair out on this for ages - very annoying, hope
> you're able to solve your problem too!
>
> Rob

Power supplies that are under-performing or starting to fail can be a
real bear as well.

I had one that gave me no symptoms except frequent hangs/crashes.  I
tried memory, cpu, mobo, drives, all to no avail.  when I replaced the
power supply with one rated exactly the same (350w) the problem
magically went away and I went back to my original hardware.  That
machine is still chuckling happily along.

YMMV, but keep checking various things.