Re: Yum uri list

Paul Howarth wrote:

> You might get better answers if you say what the problem is that you're
> actually trying to fix.
>
> Yum will look in the places specified in your yum.conf file for updated
> versions of packages you already have, so the URLs can be constructed by
> looking at the repository locations you have specified for any updated
> versions of the packages you are using, and appending the package file
> name to the repository URL.

Okay! Here is what my problem is.
I'm doing a small piece of program for "Offline Package Management" in my
way of learning programming. It's named pypt-offline hosted at SourceForge.
The program helps people who have machines on a dial-up connection but still
would like to enjoy the features that yum, apt-rpm, up2date provide i.e.
automatically upgrade all required packages from the net. I've already
implemented it for dpkg in Debian. I want to incorporate rpm support too in
it.

The person with a dial-up connection only updates his package database. Say
after the updation he comes to know that he needs to download 300mb of
software packages to upgrade to the latest security fixes. It would be a
pain for people (specially in Asian countries like India and Nepal) to
download the whole of 300mb on a dial-up connection.

This is where pypt-offline helps. You just fetch the url list from your
machine after updation. You now have the urls of the packages that need to
be upgraded. Take the url list to another computer, possibly to your office
computer having a high speed connection, use it with pypt-offline to
download all the packages, take back home and just simply upgrade.

Since pypt-offline is coded in Python, you enjoy the benefit of running it
on any OS on your other high speed machine (Windows, Linux, MacOSX).
pypt-offline also supports looking into a directory of already downloaded
packages to see if any packages it needs to download are already available
or not. It also supports apt-proxy like directory tree structure. It can
walk through directories to check for the concerned package.

Please let me know if there is anyway to fetch the list of urls from yum or
apt-rpm or up2date. For apt, we do it very simply using:
apt-get -qq --print-uris upgrade > uris

TIA,

rrs
- --