Re: the mail trail...sendmail

> Am Di, den 29.03.2005 schrieb Bob Chiodini um 13:53:
>
> > I've been giving this a lot of thought lately :-).  Someone here maybe
> > able to answer this.  Since John's mail volume is relatively low, is
> > there a way through sendmail to force the rsync after each received
> > email is processed?  Something in sendmail.mc/sendmail.cf, after it runs
> > procmail, a macro perhaps?
> >
> > Bob...
>
> As Sendmail does not store the mail itself, it has no hands on the mail
> spool. Speaking about a professional, high volume solution I would
> realize the high availability, mirrored mail access server with a
> product like Cyrus-Murder. Setting up an automatic copying, either with
> Sendmail macros or Procmail, to a second system would be more an
> experimental state solution I feel. Doing an rsyncing requires a
> mechanism which cares for mail file (mbox or Maildir) lockings, to be
> sure to not loose mails when switching over systems. In a high mail
> volume environment you can't simply switch off services for the time the
> sync process runs.
>
> Alexander
as far as syncing right now, yes
service sendmail stop
rsync -ogp /var/spool/mail/* root@dest:/var/spool/mail/
service sendmail start
this is fine and will be for some time for sure.

but it won't be long til I have to address hosting remote mail. I have
not looked into this at all as of yet. does this also go to the mail
spool? dunno...if it does than it's still fine to do this.

I do know that w/procmail recipes you can ship/copy mail to other
folders but I don't know how you would make it copy to another machine.
unless maybe you copy to a folder then rsync the folder over.
if we would decide to try the procmail thing, I cannot visualize but it
seems that while a folder is getting copied, that folder has to be
locked.

thx
john

--