Re: DOM implementation for Linux?

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 19:21 +0100, Miles Sabin wrote:

> I don't think there are any DOM implementations on _any_ platform which
> can be usefully exported via CORBA.
>
> The W3C DOM WG only used CORBA IDL as a language-neutral API
> specification language, and there wasn't any serious expectation that
> the IDL would be used as IDL.
[...]
> If you're wondering why on earth the WG did things this way, bear in
> mind that this was all going on at the height of the browser/Java wars:
> the WG was attempting to keep all the major players on board and not
> alienate any of them by making any firm commitment to _any_ particular
> host language. As is usual with this kind of committee driven exercise
> in compromise the end result is something that nobody's particularly
> happy with.

Thanks for the info. Actually I prefer things like that be specified in
IDL wherever possible (even if there is no intent on using CORBA). I'm
becoming disillusioned with libraries choosing a reference language and
then waiting for someone to decide to write other language bindings that
always end up being 2-3 months behind the main language. IDL may not be
perfect, but (in theory) it could provide way for libraries to export
their APIs in an object-oriented way to all languages that have an IDL
mapping (that's assuming there is a way to load a native library and
make in-process calls to it via IDL bindings without requiring the
overhead of CORBA marshalling, etc.).