write access to UUCP lockfile directory denied

In the process of fiddling with Kermit and another communications program install, I appear to have broken somthing. I have found many documents pertaining to the issue, but very few solutions. Most speak to a program leaving a lock file in place after terminating. Some discuss changing permissions on certain devices/directories. Wading through all this stuff, it's hard to tell what's 'winging it' vs. what's proper procedure. And nowhere, have I found an explanation for how this could have broken. Can someone point me to some better docs, or is there something I could try? In the dev directory, ttyS2 looks no different than all the other ttyS*, and there is no /dev/modem, which is what I was using successfully to initiate Kermit sessions.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA