Re: getting control of tabbed browsing

Gustavo Seabra wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:14:23 -0500, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:52:59 -0500, Billy Tallis <wtallis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ben: Wow, those are some serious warnings on his website. I loaded it up
- so far, so good. I went through the prefs and only changed a couple of
things. He seems to default to forced single window, just what I wanted.
Thanks for the tip. I just clicked on a link from an email message in
Thunderbird and it opened the link in a new tab in the currently open
window - perfect.

There is a simpler way to do this. Type about:config into the address bar, and set browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs to true. This makes the Single window Mode option show up in the advanced section. This will not give you the fancier features such as scroll wheel tab switching and things like that.

That sounded great to me, and I've always really wanted this to work, so I tried it.

Same as always. No matter what I set in Firefox's advanced section,
links in TBird ALWAYS open in a new Firefox window.

Do other people seriously have this working (without the
above-mentioned extension)? I'm using the FC3 packages, nothing
special or custom, but no matter what I do, links from TBird never
start a new tab in the existing FF window.

It seems like an old problem that should have been solved at this
point. Take a look at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=110429781629755&w=2

I just tried that, and it works. Of course, I also tried the earlier solution in addition--that is, changing browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs to true, and then changing the single-window preferences to open any windows from an external application to a new tab. But then I changed to /usr/bin (working under "su"), typed "gedit firefox" (I imagine that "vi" would do just as well) and then removed the single occurrence of ", new-window" in the file. Now, whenever I hit a link in a T-bird message, it opens the link in a new tab in the most recently used window--which usually is the only window I have open.

Thanks for that link. I highly recommend this solution to everyone who at least wants to exploit tabbed browsing and stop the repeated opening of new windows.

Temlakos