Re: egcs - how to know if it's there and what ver

Aaron Gaudio wrote:
On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 13:02 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:

Subject says it all: I'm trying to install something from source and one of several top installation problems listed in the howto is:
egcs older than 2.91.66 (1.1.2)
other install requirements I've been able to determine, but I can't find any description of how to tell whether I have egcs, and if so what ver - a 'locate egcs' yielded up three cryptic log files

egcs was a fork of the gcc compiler, and has since been remerged into
gcc (or renamed to gcc, whatever). If you are running a Fedora release,
you don't have (and don't need) egcs unless you did something special to
install an old version. gcc should work for you.

Thanks to this suggestion from another post,
"One methoid is to forget the mailman archives and go to:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list";,
I was able to search the fedora-list archives on 'egcs' and get to a couple of wikipedia references that explained it just as you describe - thanks for responding.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA