USB host to host connection ??

I have a Compaq USB 2.0 Link adapter which has a wart in the middle of the
cable containing a Prolific Technology Inc. 2501 chip and unknown
microprocessor and memory, etc.

It is to connect a Gateway Solo 2150 laptop (new disk with Fedora 3 -
pretty well updated using CDROMs and updates burned to CDROM) with desktop
Fedora3smp.

Most everything else works nicely (tested on the desktop) - watching the
/var/log/messages, I can plug in a Keyspan USB serial, Macintosh USB
keyboard, Yahoo mini optical mouse, Flash USB drive - marvelous actions and
everything cites works as expected. Keyboard takes over as console
keyboard, Flash drive icon appears on desktop - marvelous.

However, the host to host only puts one line in the log file:

Mar 26 12:07:04 hoho2 kernel: usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 3
Mar 26 12:07:10 hoho2 kernel: usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using
ehci_hcd and address 4

(Actually two lines - one when I pulled it out, the 2nd when I pushed it in).

The other end of the cable is plugged into the Gateway (to get power..)
although it does not seem to make it more intelligent at this stage.

I updated hotplug and udev (to 50) and set DEBUG=true on udev. (on desktop)

Reading through the man pages and documentation on hotplug and udev, it is
not so clear as to whether hotplug is even working on my system (no
hotplugd daemon), or whether it should. Lots of documentation, but then
words later saying, Oh, if you have a 2.6 system .. something else happens.

It would be nice to have a doc that tells where an event comes into the
system at the begining, and then it is passed off to xyz, which then passes
if off to abc.. Sort of the ankle bone connected to the leg bone, connected
to the knee bone song.

The Compaq gadget came with a mini-CD, but it is for Windows only. Maybe
there is something essential here?

Hoping for a clue

Bob Gustafson

[root@hoho2 ~]# cd /sys/bus/usb
[root@hoho2 usb]# ls
devices  drivers
[root@hoho2 usb]# cd devices
[root@hoho2 devices]# ls
1-0:1.0  1-4  1-4:1.0  2-0:1.0  3-0:1.0  4-0:1.0  usb1  usb2  usb3  usb4
[root@hoho2 devices]# cd 1-4
[root@hoho2 1-4]# ls
1-4:1.0              bDeviceSubClass     configuration  idVendor      serial
bcdDevice            bmAttributes        detach_state   manufacturer  speed
bConfigurationValue  bMaxPower           devnum         maxchild      version
bDeviceClass         bNumConfigurations  driver         power
bDeviceProtocol      bNumInterfaces      idProduct      product
[root@hoho2 1-4]# cat idProduct
2501
[root@hoho2 1-4]# cat manufacturer
Prolific Technology Inc.