Change default cursors

Hello.
I'm trying to change the default FC3 cursors with Jimmac's.
I put the new cursors into ~/.icons/default/cursors and I created ~/.icons/default/index.theme. So far, so good. The new cursors load, but they show through only a part of the GNOME desktop. But they change to the default ones in some apps such as Firefox, Thunderbird or jEdit. It's kinda annoying to have a cursor that keeps changing on a per-app basis, especially the normal pointer. :(
Have you got any advice on how to completely replace the default cursors?
Thank you.

--
Ovidiu Lixandru
linux360