Re: Final step to boot from an USB hard disk?

Jim Cornette wrote:
Antonio Montagnani wrote:

8) at this point I tried to install grub (grub-install /dev/sda ) but I get the reply :
/dev/sda: not found or not a block device!!!

This might be due to having no nodes ( /dev/sda and others not being present within the chrooted environment.) I don't know how to get device nodes loaded because they are not like once was (static and many) Now they are dynamic and limited.

Using mc as a visual shell, I was able to copy the entries for the sda devices from /dev (regular install) over to /mnt/sysimage/dev and then running the fdisk command showed the information regarding /dev/sda. This might be danerous to attempt to create (actually copy the node to the chroot via the regular installation.)

Running grub-install /dev/sda yielded the below output in my chrooted usb installation.

grub-install /dev/sda
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

# this device map was generated by anaconda
(fd0)     /dev/fd0
(hd0)     /dev/hda
(hd1)     /dev/sda

This worked for me, but I cannot boot this installation anyway.

Jim

Any help????Thanks

Probably not much help. I am more curious to how one can make this a possibility.

Good luck! I'll try some of your suggestions.

Jim