Re: Setting up a small LAN - a cry for help

IF you can find a local linux users group that would be a great start.
 If that doesn't work
for you.  Then there a few things that might help.

iptables -L  will tell you if you have filters running that will block
any access to the ports that win boxes will try to connect to
on your linux box.

iptables -F will remove the filters (assuming you have a firewall/switch combo)

(as root)  /etc/init.d/smb start

(as user that will connect to linx from win) smbpasswd

Then try to connect from win.

Obviously extremely abbreviated but you asked for basics.

Richard