Re: EMERGENCY - need to secure my server against an ongoing SPAMMER

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 12:47 +0000, Bob Brennan wrote:
> SMTP_AUTH is the alternative method supported by Outlook, which is the
> most commonly used MUA amongst my users so I will give that a try
> next. My preference for pop-b4-smtp is that it requires only a single
> tick in a box in most MUAs, and for grandma that in itself can be a
> challenge ;-)

SMTP AUTH should be supported by every MUA out there today, and with
much less work than PBS. I have had a brief HOWTO on how to set this up
available for about two years now, sorry you didn't find it before!

As I write this, I'm also posting a slightly revised and improved
version of my "Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO", although it has mostly small
corrections and no major changes to content. You should definitely be
able to make things work with this HOWTO! If not, let me know, OK?

You can find my HOWTO at:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux

As to your firewall issues, allow me to suggest that you spend a little
time to download and learn Shorewall (http://www.shorewall.net). It will
take you about 15 minutes using the Quick Guides available on the site
to set up your first box. From then on, you can set up servers or
gateways in less than two or three minutes, the thing is very flexible
and powerful, and it is very easy to use.

If you want a quick-and-dirty description of how to configure Shorewall,
check out my "Bare-Bones Server HOWTO" which you can find at the same
address. One of the steps in setting up such a basic server is
configuration of the firewall, which I cover very briefly.

Sorry I didn't see your message sooner! I've been away on a very long
trip (I live in Guatemala, and I've been spending a week in the United
Arab Emirates) and my Internet access was kind of spotty. So I'm
starting to wade through the 11,000 messages as quickly as I can. :-/

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>