Re: legal question

<quote who="Marc M">
> Hello:
>
> I have a 'technical' question that does not involve technology
> specifically, but I am hoping that someone on the list can help me.  I
> have an employment possibility doing Red Hat Enterprise Linux and a
> lot of security stuff.  I really want the job but they are making me
> sign this Stalinist contract to the effect that ANYTHING now or in the
> future (thoughts, concepts, software, plans, processes, RECORDINGS,
> images, etc.) -- is THEIRS.  You wouldn't believe it if I had time to
> type everything.  Basically I am a slave to them from now on.
>
> That's right, anything NOW OR IN THE FUTURE, on the job or off.  So if
> you are configuring/writing/tweaking software all day, one would
> <think> that you would later be liable or subject to just about
> anything they want to claim.  Think about it.   Who doesn't learn and
> grow from one job to another?  Who doesn't apply
> things/practices/habits/processes, from place A to place B?

Well, INAL, but you can't copywright modifications made to GPLed software.

I've worked as a contractor for years and many consulting agencies force
you to sign such draconian documents.  Depending on what state you live
in, these agreements can hold more or less weight.  If I remember
correctly (it's been years since I've worked for someone else) where I
live, those agreements were not enforcable after you have left the
employment of the company.