Re: swap partition missing?

> Hongwei Li wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just found that my fc3 system's swap partition is "gone".  When I
>> installed the system, I set it to 1Gb.  The kernel is 2.6.10-1.766_FC3.
>> don't know when it started, but here are some information:
>>
>> # free
>>              total       used       free     shared    buffers
>> cached
>> Mem:       1035748     658792     376956          0     145380
>> 272540
>> -/+ buffers/cache:     240872     794876
>> Swap:            0          0          0
>>
>> # cat /etc/fstab
>>
>> # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
>> LABEL=/1                /                       ext3    defaults
>> 1 1
>> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
>> 0 0
>> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
>> 0 0
>> LABEL=/home1            /home                   ext3
>> defaults,usrquota
>>       1 2
>> LABEL=/opt              /opt                    ext3    defaults
>> 1 2
>> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
>> 0 0
>> none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults
>> 0 0
>> LABEL=/tmp1             /tmp                    ext3    defaults
>> 1 2
>> LABEL=/usr1             /usr                    ext3    defaults
>> 1 2
>> LABEL=/var1             /var                    ext3
>> defaults,usrquota
>>       1 2
>> LABEL=SWAP-hda7         swap                    swap    defaults
>> 0 0
>>
>> I tried this:
>>
>> # swapon -a
>> swapon: cannot find the device for LABEL=SWAP-hda7
>>
>> The system log does not show anything related to this problem.  Can
>> somebody tell me what may cause this problem?  how to check it further
>> and
>> fix it?
>
> Have you booted one of the LiveCD style distributions on this machine? I
> have heard that one of them may remove the label from swap partitions.
>
> You might try changing the fstab entry:
> LABEL=SWAP-hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0
> to:
> /dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0
>
> and see if that works. If it does, you might want to relabel the
> partition (when it's not being used), using (I think - the -L option is
> undocumented):
>
> # mkswap -L SWAP-hda7 /dev/hda7
>
> Paul.

Yes, it works.  Thank you very much!  Now, I have questions:

1. What's the use of mkswap -L SWAP-hda7 /dev/hda7? I don't see any effect?

2. When I put the original entry back to /etc/fstab as:
LABEL=SWAP-hda7         swap     swap    defaults 0 0

it does not work again.  I have to put /dev/hda7 in it.  How to let the
original entry work -- the above mkswap ... does not have effect?  Why do
we need those LABEL=... in fstab?

Thanks!

Hongwei