Re: Good Statistical Packages

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Alexander Volovics wrote:

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 05:11:55PM -1000, Ping-Wu Zhang wrote:

Could anyone recommend any good statistical package(s)?  Does anyone
know whether there is any SPSS or SAS clone?  Thanks.

If the license fee is not an objection ($615.00 for single user with Base Documentation Set) I highly recomend Stata: http://www.stata.com/ Maybe you can get you company/institute or university dept. to order it for you. It is a bit easier to master than R and still cheaper than SAS.

If the license fee is not an issue, I beleive that SAS is available for Linux as well (although Alexander may be correct about the relative cost).

However the advice depends on what you need it for. Any package can produce simple summaries, graphs and the classical analyses. However if you need things like certain random effects models you might only be able to find the necessary tools in SAS for example. (Programming something yourself in R is not very enjoyable).

Alexander

-- Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu