Re: yum - problem with dependencies

<posted & mailed>

david walcroft wrote:

>> I was trying to "yum update" on a machine which had not been updated
>> for some time, and I came across the following puzzling problem.
>> In any case, I ran "yum --enablerepo=development install db4"
>> and this duly installed db4-4.3.so and related files.
>>
>> However, when I ran "yum update" again,
>> I still got the same dependency errors:
>> =======================================
>> --> Running transaction check
>> --> Processing Dependency: libdb-4.3.so for package: kdesdk
>> --> Processing Dependency: db4 >= 4.3 for package: openoffice.org
>> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>> Error: missing dep: libdb-4.3.so for pkg kdesdk
>> Error: missing dep: db4 >= 4.3 for pkg openoffice.org
>>
>> What baffles me is that these library files _are_present,
>> having been supplied by the db4 rpm:

>         I have seen this before,trying to recall the cure which I think
> is in the first line of you post,yum upgrading a system not upgraded for
> a while but using the latest rpm's to do the upgrade.Try putting the
> latest yum-2.2.0-0.fc3 in by hand resolve any dependencies and try the
> upgrade again.
> You did not mention your FC* or kernel,things could be very different
> depending upon this

Thanks for your response.
I'm running FC-3 with kernel-2.6.11
(I have tried the latest Fedora update kernel,
but that does not affect matters.)

The only explanation I can see for this problem
is that yum is not just looking for this particular library,
it is looking for a specific rpm containing the library.

But if that is so, why does yum not tell me?

I find yum generally an extremely useful application;
but when it does not work it is very difficult to correct.
Assuming I am right in my conclusion above,
I would like yum to give me much more information
than just "Missing dep".

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366