Re: making aliases system wide

On 03/21/2005 01:19:30 AM, Mark Sargent wrote:
Hi All,

I know that alias shows all aliases, and alias dirmysql='cd /usr/ local/mysql' allows me to just type dirmysql @ the promt to move to the mysql dir. But, how do I get this to be system wide and remain after a reboot. At the moment, if I open another terminal window after making the alias, it doesn't carry over to the new one. My book, Beginning Fedora2(I'm using 3 now) covers only how to make the alias. Could someone tell me what I need to make it permanent, or what I'm not understanding.? Cheers.

You can put it in your .bashrc file.

To do it systemwide for ALL users - put an executable shell script that sets it in /etc/profile.d/ (don't modify an existing file in there, make a new one)

For an example of what that would look like - run

cat  /etc/profile.d/which-2.sh

You want to make a file of that form and make it executable in /etc/ profile.d/

but only if you want it system-wide (for just your user, edit .bashrc in your home (~) directory )

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/