Differences between Fedora 2 and 3

I frequently have to access some old VAX/VMS systems from my Solaris or Linux boxes. One of the more irritating aspects of this is that if you telnet to VMS using an xterm, the "Back Space" key really is a back space, not a delete. You can use xmodmap on the VMS machine to redefine it, but it messes up the definitions for your Solaris/Linux/Unix box.

I found that Fedora 2 xterm did something to define the backspace as delete for both Linux and VMS, without causing problems on the Linux Xserver.

When I upgraded to Fefora 3, the xterm behavior went back to what I had seen before on Solaris.

Any idea about what happened?