Re: Grub fails when moving HD to a new computer

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:02:56 -0500, Eric Wood <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
I think that in your case the drive is changing letters from hda to
hdb or something. Make a grub boot floppy. IIRC, using grub-install is
dangerous and frowned upon, at least compared to grub itself. Put the
drive in the new computer and use grub on the floppy to locate what
drive the stage 2 is on. The form is (hd0,0) for what would normally
be hda1. You just need to reinstall the stage 1 bootloader setup so
that it can find the stage 2 where it expects it to be. You should
also be able to directly load the kernel from the boot floppy to check
if it works.