yum and Fedora Extras -- PRE SOLVED :)

Hi all,

Okay, as I was writing this email to the list, I figured out what was
going on.  I thought I might as well send it with the solution in case
someone else runs into this problem.

The Problem:
I just finished installing FC3 i386 on a machine at work, and I was
trying to setup the Fedora Extras repo.  However, yum doesn't seem to
like the baseurl.  Whenever I run "yum update" I get the following:
Setting up Update Process
Setting up Repos
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: extras

Okay, well recent attempts to navigate to the repo with Firefox
haven't gone too well, Firefox locked up.  I was able however to get
telnet to dump the index page for
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/3/i386/

I thought, well I'll just disable extras right now until it clears up,
but adding "enabled=0" doesn't change the behavior.  I still get the
above error.  The only thing that works is moving the
fedora-extras.repo to a sub-folder in /etc/yum.repos.d/ (as would
moving it anywhere else I assume).  I even have a .repo for the debug
stuff, and yum works just fine with it disabled.  I just checked, and
extras works just fine for a machine at home.  Without the
fedora-extras.repo file, yum works fine.

The Solution:
It turns out that the fedora-extras.repo file had carriage returns
('\r' 0x0D) in it instead of the normal UNIX new lines ('\n' 0x0A).
I'm not sure how that happened.  I copied and pasted the stuff from
the EXTRAS file on the main repo site into nedit.  I also had to add
the returns, since it all pasted on one line.  Anyway, I was using
nedit to view/edit the files, which did not reveal the error.
Attempting to use "cat" or "vi" to display the file exposed the
returns as being only carriage returns and not the expected new lines.
 A hex editor also shows what was going on.
I'm still not sure why Firefox didn't like trying to list the repo
(perhaps it was just having trouble with such a large page and I was
impatient), but simply re-creating the file (being sure nedit used new
lines this time) has solved the problem.

Jonathan