Re: FC3 - Cannot mount data CDs/DVDs

Paul Howarth wrote:

<snip>

> Normally these are good signs, and it would mean that the device
> would be mounted automatically when the media is inserted. Are you
> *sure* that's not happening?
>
> What's the output of "mount" with no parameters after inserting a CD
> data disc?
>
> Paul

I get the following:

$ mount
/dev/hdc6 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/hdc3 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hdc5 on /home type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

Some additional info. I should mention that I am running Xfce 4.2, not
GNOME, though I tried this all in GNOME as well with similar outcomes.

Also, I found that if I change the entry in /etc/fstab for /dev/hda to:

/dev/hda /media/cdrecorder auto noauto,user,ro 0 0

I can in fact mount the same CD and DVD data discs just fine.

In fact, I can use the Nautilus CD burning feature, which I could not
use before (even though I use Rox as my primary FM).

Also, k3b can now also display the contents of the data CD/DVD where it
could not before. It would only indicate that there was pre-existing
stuff on the disc and prompt to confirm erasure before burning.

So there is something going on with the original settings it would seem.

I seem to have a work around for the moment, but any other ideas would
be welcome.

Thanks,

Marc