Re: Updating FC3 using already downloaded files

paulo lino wrote:
Hello!

I've been using FC3 for a while and recently I've had to format my disk.
Since every time I update my system I save the downloaded files to dvd
is
there a way to install these upgrades without having to download them
from the Internet again? I know there is a way to update the
distribution Cd's by rebuilding them but i wanted something easier than
that like modifying the web server of "up2date" and instead of using the
web to update the core it would get them on the dvd. Can you please help
me?

Best regards,
Paulo Lino

If you want to use rpm itself to upgrade off of the DVD you would run rpm -Fvh *.rpm in the directory which your dvd-rw is mounted such as /media/dvdwriter.

If you want to use up2date to perform the upgrade, you would add an entry into /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources to point to a local directory, like the below example.

dir my-favorite-rpms /media/dvdwriter and any subdirectory which might exist.

If you use the rpm method, you could use rpm -Uvh *.rpm if you have additional rpms that were not installed from the installaton process.

If you use up2date, it will do similar to rpm -Fvh (Freshen) unless you include rpms at the command line.

For yum, I believe you would need to run createrepo and include the resulting information on the dvd that you created.

Jim

--
Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.