Re: Latex environment for linux

Leandro Melo wrote:

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:38:43 -0800 (PST), Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--- Leandro Melo <ltcmelo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi.
Could anyone tell me if there's a nice latex
environment for linux?
Or do I need to use default text editors and compile
text manually?

Leandro,
I highly recommend that you get Kile.[Kde Integrated
Latex Environment]. It has many nice features that
will benefit you. Go and download the rpm for Fedora
http://kile.sourceforge.net/.

Sorry, if this is too stupid (I'm a total beginner in linux). But I'm using GNome as my UI. Does it mean that I'd need to change to KDE (and then I'd need to download kde for fedora)??? Or there's some other way of using it with gnome? Thanks.

Depends on what you already have installed, Leandro. For example, on install of my FC2 system I elected to install both Gnome and KDE desktops plus several KDE applications. If you elected to install "everything" or you selected gnome and kde when installing your system, you already have the KDE desktop and a lot of supporting libraries. You, like me, could elect at boot time to boot into a kde or a gnome desktop, You could also run KDE apps while running the gnome desktop, but time required to load those apps might be a tad slower.