strange backspace behavior in vim

Hi all,

For a few months I was using Debian Sarge but I recently re-installed
Fedora Core 3 (I was running FC2 before installing Sarge).  I removed
my .gnome, .gnome2, .gconf directories from my home directory but
other than that my home directory has been consistent through all
three OSes.

Since installing FC3, however, I've had weird behavior in vim and some
other instances (e.g., when using Perl's CPAN module shell).  The
problem is this: when I hit the backspace key, a hex 0x7f is inserted,
rather than the previous character being removed.  This behavior does
*not* occur in gvim.

Any ideas?
--
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs@xxxxxxxxxx