Network Manager doesn't start

Out of the blue, NetworkManager will not start when i boot up anymore.
I have to su to root, the run  NetworkManagerInfo in the terminal.
Before it was simple as loggong into my account, and the sonar would
wave a few secs, and I would be connected. So, I started the process
as root, logged out and checked  the save current setup.  I'm able to
connect as of now, but no graphical representation to speak of. With
out doing a ifconfig or a iwconfig in the terminal, I don't know which
network i'm connected to now.
 Q. Why do I have to run the process as root now?
Q. How do i fix this so it launches without user interaction & shows
in the notification area?

System
FC3
2.6.10-1.766_FC3
NetworkManager-0.3.3-1.cvs20050119.2.fc3
ipw2200 intel wireless

Thanks all for your kind help.
--

Jim Lawrence