Re: Spamassassin 3.0.2 autolearn=ham/spam/no

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 23:06, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 22:07 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> > The way this is handle usually is to manually run sa-learn on batches of
> > ham and spam email.  If this is done with a good sample in the first
> > week or two of starting to use spamassassin you normally get a good base
> > line and get very good results.  Occasional training sessions will
> > maintain things.  About every two weeks I run a script that processes
> > all spam I received.  I run my inbox through less often.  By manually
> > doing this I get a chance to do a quick review looking for false
> > positives.  Anymore I don't spend much time on spam.
> >
> > And if you are running your own MTA server you can eliminate 99% of your
> > spam before every having to invoke spamassassin by implementing
> > greylisting.
> >
> > Seriously, it works that well.
>
>     Around here I create a "Spam", "Whitelist" and "Blacklist" folder
> for the users.  When spam is manually caught, all you have to do is drag
> it over to "Blacklist" where the server will pick it up, about every
> hour or so, and learn it as such.  The reverse is true for things that
> get caught, and you want to keep those mails coming.
>
>    Funny thing, though: I can't remember ever having a 'keeper' getting
> marked as spam (false positive).
>
>     If you (or anyone else) wants this simple little script, I'd be
> happy to send it to you, just let me know.  It runs on the server side
> and has been updated to work with SA 3.0.2.
>
>     And that way you get the same effect as the 'junk' mechanism in
> Evolution, no matter what client you're using!

In over two years I have only seen 2 false positives.  I see 5 or 6
missed spam each week.  If I was able to run greylisting on the ISPs
mail server I would probably not even see those.  And I would not see
the hundreds of spam that spamassassin catches each week either.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

If you lived today as if it were your last, you'd buy up a box of rockets
and fire them all off, wouldn't you?
		-- Garrison Keillor