Re: rm doesn't free up space

Earl wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm running FC3 and ran out of disk space.

After deleting a huge - and I mean approx 5Gb - worth of files, the df output still shows 0% free. None of these files were linked to other files. They should be well truly gone.

Rebooting and forcing a fsck doesn't seem to have solved the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Earl

A long shot, but what is your inode count?

df -i will tell you.

It is possible to run out of available inodes on an ext2/3 filesystem, even if there is still plenty of free disk space available.

Another possibility is that the files you deleted were situated on a mountpoint pointing to another volume.

Greg