Re: Dual Boot, Grub, FC3-WinXpSP2, 2 drives. No go.

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 17:55 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
<snip>
> I thought so, too. But I just mounted both (vfat and ntfs) partitions
> under FC3, and there is no boot.ini file. At this point I am certain
> that for some reason (maybe due to an earlier install of Windows)
> Windows kept the boot.ini on C, hda, and used that to boot from E.

This is beginning to sound problematic and more of a Windows thing....

I am guessing that perhaps we would need to "repair" the Windows
installation.  Offhand, I am not sure how to do this and I think that it
will most likely attempt to overwrite the MBR part of the first disk.
This is not necessarily a huge problem in that a quick linux rescue
followed by a grub re-installation of the first stage bootloader can
correct the damage potentially done by the Windows repair....

<snip>

> One key question is, does grub require that I make hdb5 bootable?

So to speak.  GRUB is passing control to the NTLDR and BOOT.INI files.
Remember that they are hidden/system files usually, so depending on how
you tried to locate them might be why you did not see them (probably a
pipe dream)???

I think at this stage you may be looking to get some advice on how to
repair the Windows partition unless someone else wants to jump in with
advice on that side....

--Rob